Are you an international student studying in Australia? If so, you may be happy to hear about the recent Temporary Graduate Visa 485 updates. The Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485) is a type of visa that allows international students in Australia to stay and work in the country temporarily after they have completed their studies. It is relevant to international students in Australia because it allows them to gain work experience in their field of study and potentially qualify for permanent residency in Australia. This visa is available to students who have completed a degree or diploma from an Australian educational institution and meet other eligibility criteria. The Australian government has implemented changes, which came into effect on 1 July 2023. Here is what you need to know:
Changes to Graduate Work stream:
1. Occupation Nomination: The 485 visa - Graduate Work stream now requires a nominated occupation from the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List. (Note: this was not required for visa applications lodged between 1 July 2022 and 30 June 2023)
2. Skills Assessment: You must have submitted a provisional skills assessment in the nominated occupation at the time of application for the 485 visa - Graduate Work stream.
3. Cost: The Visa application charge increased to AUD1,895.00 for a single applicant.
Changes to Post-Study stream:
1. Extended Visa for Select Degrees: International students who have degrees in health, teaching, engineering, or agriculture will have access to extended subclass 485 visas from 1 July 2023. However, the qualifications must be on the prescribed list.
· The post-study work rights for select Bachelor degrees will be extended from two years to four years.
· The post-study work rights for select Masters degrees will be extended from three years to five years.
· The post-study work rights for all Doctoral degrees will be extended from four years to six years.
The full list of eligible courses for extended post-study work rights can be found in the following link:
Doctoral degree holders are not restricted to the eligible qualifications list. All Doctoral Degree graduates will be granted a graduate visa for six years.
Annually, targeted skills will be taken into account and adjusted as necessary in response to the demands of the labor market.
The aim is to ensure that upcoming changes to the list of qualifications will not have a negative effect on students who have commenced a qualifying course of study that is later removed from the list. Students who successfully complete a qualification that was eligible either at the commencement of their studies, at the conclusion of their studies, or at both times, will qualify for the extension.
2. Current Post-Study stream Visa holders with Select Degrees: If you currently possess a post-study work visa and qualify for the extra 2-year period based on select degree criteria, you can submit a new visa application. Individuals holding a qualifying degree are only entitled to receive the additional 2-year extension on one occasion, and any subsequent attempts for an extension will be considered invalid.
3. Up to Additional Two Years for Regional Study: This extended visa for select degrees will not affect eligibility to apply for the Post-Study Work Stream for graduates who have studied, worked, and lived in a regional area.
If you studied in regional Australia and are an applicant in the Replacement or Post-Study Work streams, you will be granted the Second Post-Study Work stream for one to four years if you meet other eligibility criteria. Before submitting an application for the second Temporary Graduate visa under the post-study work stream, it is required to have resided in a qualifying designated regional area for a minimum duration of 2 years.
The following table offers information outlining the residency and educational criteria for the second visa under the post-study work stream for Temporary Graduate applicants.
Residence location on Temporary Graduate visa in the post-study work or replacement stream
Study location on student visa
Visa length for second Temporary Graduate post-study work stream visa
Category 1 – Major cities: Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne (Non-Regional)
In conclusion, the Temporary Graduate Visa 485 updates provide excellent opportunities for international students to gain work experience in their field of study and potentially qualify for permanent residency in Australia. The automatic extension, occupation nomination, skills assessment, extended visa periods, and regional study offer various benefits for eligible candidates. If you meet the stated criteria, we encourage you to take advantage of this opportunity and apply for a visa extension. For more information, please contact API team.