top of page

Unlocking Your Path to Permanent Residency: Study in Western Australia


We are thrilled to talk to you about the incredible opportunities that await you in Western Australia.

In this live webinar we have explored why Western Australia is the perfect destination for international students looking to pursue higher education. Western Australia is a land of opportunities where you can receive a world-class education, enjoy a high quality of life, and work towards your dream of permanent residency.

Why Western Australia?

One of the most significant advantages of studying in WA is the clear pathway to permanent residency. WA State offers a graduate pathway for state sponsorship. If you study in WA for 2 years, you will be eligible to be considered under this stream as well as the general stream. Graduates in high-demand fields such as Construction, healthcare, and hospitality are often invited earlier for the state-sponsored skilled migration programs. These programs can significantly increase your chances of staying in Australia permanently.

Let's dive into these courses and how they can help you achieve your dreams:

1. Engineering:

First up, we have engineering. Completing an engineering degree in Australia opens doors to various job opportunities. Engineers are in high demand, and many fields are on Australia's skilled occupation lists. To secure permanent residency, you do not even need to gain work experience. As soon as you are graduated, you can apply for your skills assessment and start the visa process. If your overseas qualification and experience are in the engineering field, I highly recommend you stay in the same field and study a Master's degree in WA. A 2-year course will give you at least 4 years of post-study graduate visa. If you study a select degree, for example master of professional engineering at Curtin University, you will get an extra 2 years on the graduate visa. During the time you are on the graduate visa, you have more than enough time to apply for permanent residency. If you want to start with a bachelor's degree, I suggest you study civil or structural engineering as they are on the priority list in WA and the PR will be fast-tracked.

2. Accounting:

Accounting is another promising field. A bachelor's degree is essential, and pursuing a Master's in Professional Accounting can enhance your prospects. Australia even offers an Accounting Professional Year Program for those with Australian accounting degrees. If you are interested in an accounting course, I suggest you check your probable points after graduation, as it is a very competitive occupation, and you may need more points to apply for general skilled visas.

3. Computer and IT:

Computer science and IT professionals are also very popular among international students. The Australian Computer Society (ACS) handles skill assessments. You must note that you need to study a Bachelor’s degree or above to be eligible for doing the professional year and apply for the skills assessment if you do not have prior work experience in this field.

4. Nursing:

Nursing is a rewarding profession with high demand in Australia's healthcare industry. To qualify for permanent residency, you'll need to pass a skills assessment through the Australian Nursing & Midwifery Accreditation Council (ANMAC). Nursing occupations are highly demanded all over Australia, including WA.

5. Social Work:

Social work courses attract students globally. Completing an accredited course can lead to a skill assessment without work experience. You must have a good English level to study social work or nursing in Australia and complete the skills assessment process.

6. Trade Courses:

WA’s educational institutes offer courses in different trades such as automotive, painting, building and construction, plumbing, and carpentry. Completing these courses, along with TRA assessments, can be your ticket to PR. For most of the trades occupations, you need to do at least a year of job-ready program to obtain the full skills assessment which is required for starting the PR process. The good news is that most of the applicants receive a job offer and are sponsored by their employer while they are on the graduate visa. Construction trades, such as painting trades workers, plasterers, tilers, and carpenters are highly demanded in WA and they are in WA’s priority list to receive an invitation to lodge a state sponsorship. Another occupation which is highly demanded in WA and has a very straightforward pathway to PR is civil engineering draftsperson. You can study a 2-year advanced diploma in construction design and get a positive skills assessment as soon as you finish the course and start the visa process. Electrical engineering draftsperson is the same. They are both in WA’s priority list.

7. Hospitality:

The booming tourism industry in Australia opens doors to careers like chef, manager, and more. The tourism and hospitality sector offer various visa options. You can study Cert III, IV, and Diploma in hospitality for 2 years, get a graduate visa, and apply for PR after you have your skills assessment.


I tried to provide a comprehensive list of courses and trades that can lead to well-paid jobs and permanent residency in Australia. I hope this information is helpful for you if you are looking to study and work in Australia with the goal of eventually becoming permanent residents. However, it's important to note that immigration policies and requirements may change over time. That’s why I always say to my clients that you should study something that you like and enjoy, not just for the sake of getting permanent residency. But on the other hand, just studying without any plan could be a waste of your time and potential. We are here to help you find a balance. If you are struggling to find the best course to study, just contact us. We will help you find the best course based on your interests and migration goal.

We look forward to seeing you all in Western Australia soon!

126 views0 comments


bottom of page